07 Oct Warm up for Winter
During a period of living in Washington DC, I was introduced to Glogg by a Norwegian diplomat and his wife who hosted perhaps one of the most memorable dinner parties in one of the most memorable homes I have ever had the pleasure to dine. The kitchen was so grand it comfortably accommodated the 20 or so kitchen staff there to assist…
A drink to warm you up
Glogg(pronounced ‘glurgg’) is a mulled wine that Norwegians drink at Christmas time. It is made with cloves and cinnamon, and served warm with a helping of almonds and raisins. Glogg parties are a common winter time and Christmas activity in Norway. These parties serve Glogg with risgrøt, a Norwegian style rice pudding.
Many northern hemisphere countries with long, harsh winters enjoy their own version of Glogg. With the increasing popularity of our own ‘Christmas in July’, maybe we can too. Feel free to adapt the recipe to your liking.
Recipe source: with thanks to FOLK
Ingredients to make Glogg
1 bottle (750 mL) red wine
1 bottle (750 mL) port
1-2 cups brandy
2 cinnamon sticks
6-8 cardamom pods
10 whole cloves
Peel of 2 medium oranges
1/2 cup of raisins
1/2 cup blanched almonds
1 inch piece of fresh ginger, quartered
1/2 cup raw sugar
- Pour wine and port in a pot. Add cinnamon, the seeds from the cardamom pods, cloves, orange peel (reserving some for garnish), raisins, almonds and ginger. Warm gently over low heat, being sure not to boil.
- Mix the sugar and the brandy in a separate pan. Warm over low heat, melting the sugar and allowing it to caramelize and become slightly syrupy.
- Once the sugar has melted and caramelised, add the sugar/brandy mixture to pot with the wine and spices.
- Cover the pot and let the mixture mull over very low heat for 1 to 2 hours.
- Once the Glogg has mulled, strain out the spice and fruit ingredients.
- Pour the Glogg into mugs, garnish with an orange peel and enjoy!
- Glogg can also be re-bottled and aged for a couple months. To do this, simply pour mixture into wine bottles and seal very tightly.
About Linda Delaney and North Shore Interiors
Linda Delaney is the owner and manager of North Shore Interiors, a company that provides interior design, decorating, styling and project management services to Sydney’s lower north shore and greater Sydney metropolitan area.
Linda has been seen in Habitus, Inside Out, Grand Designs Australia and Money magazines. She is also a regular contributor for leading Australian interior design publications, Home Design and the annual Design & Decoration. Watch out for more of Linda’s work featured in the media.
Contact Linda at Linda@nsinteriors.com.au or on 0432 716 558.